Q & A

Hi, I've had asthma since I was little - can I work in a frozen warehouse?Thanks for your question. Cold air can cause asthma problems similar to when you exert yourself. If your asthma is worse in cold weather, it's probably not a good idea to get a job in a frozen warehouse.

I want to go into nursing but have atopic eczema which comes and goes - is this likely to be a problem?
As you may have read in our careers guide, nursing involves contact with irritants and lots of handwashing, which could aggravate your eczema. However, if you still want to be a nurse, choose an area that is a bit less demanding on the skin.

I've got eczema on my hands, but don't have any allergies that I'm aware of, so why have I got it? I've been working as a cleaner this summer.
Eczema isn't necessarily caused by allergies. The detergents that you've been using may have been an irritant and this has made you itchy. Avoid developing eczema by wearing gloves at work and using skin cream.

When I was younger I had eczema in the crook of my arm, but it's gone away now. Can I join the vehicle maintenance programme at upper-secondary school next year?
As you had eczema when you were little, you're more likely than others to get it again during your training or work as a vehicle mechanic. But not everyone is affected! It may be a good idea to talk to your school healthcare service or student mentor about your choice of career as they know more about the risks and options involved, and will be able to help you decide what to do.

I don't know whether I'm at risk or not - how do I find out?
First, ask your parents whether you had atopic eczema when you were little, or whether they have had, or still have, eczema or asthma. You can also take the quick test on our start page!

Want to know more?

To find out more about things specific to you and the training or job that you are interested in:

  • talk to your student mentor and careers advisor
  • talk to your school nurse or doctor, paediatrician, dermatologist or family doctor
  • ask for a referral to a dermatologist or paediatric allergologist for examination and advice.